December 21st, 2011
Speculaas biscuits are a traditional Dutch crispy biscuit with a great spice aroma that make an ideal special occasion gift. They are shaped with a special wooden mould and baked on a layer of very fine flaked almonds.
100g white biscuit crumbs (Vanilla Wines)
good pinch of salt
290g soft brown sugar
400g plain flour
10g speculaas spices (see below)
10g baking soda
blanched flaked almonds
15g mixed spice
5g ground ginger
5g ground nutmeg
5g ground cardamom
1. Place the biscuit crumbs and milk in a small bowl. Using a wooden spoon mix together to form a paste. Place aside.
2. Place the butter, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl fitted with a beater and blend on a low speed until mixed together. Do not cream the mixture.
3. Add the biscuit paste and mix through until combined.
4. Sieve the flour, speculaas spices (see recipe below) and baking soda together. Add to the butter and sugar mixture and mix on a low speed until a firm dough has been formed.
5. Place the dough in a plastic bag or wrap in plastic and then place in the refrigerator overnight. This will allow the spices to develop their flavours.
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator at least 1 ½ hours before you require it. Work the dough by continuous moulding with your hands until soft but firm to work with.
7. Roll the dough out to a thickness of 3-4mm and, using a round, 5cm diameter biscuit cutter, cut into discs or press the dough into a special speculaas biscuit mould, then trim the edges.
8. Sprinkle a lightly greased or baking paper-lined baking tray with the flaked almonds and place the cut out biscuits on top.
9. Place directly into a preheated oven set at 170̊C and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch.
10. Remove from the baking tray once cool and repeat the baking process.
11. Once cool store in an airtight container.
Note: The almonds can be reused time after time to avoid wastage.
Mix all the spices together thoroughly and store in an airtight container until re