July 1st, 2013
Eastland Wood Council Forestry Awards
At the Eastland Wood Council Forestry Awards in Gisborne on Friday 17 May, in front of an audience of 380, 30 graduates from the East Coast region were presented their certificates by outgoing FITEC CEO Ian Boyd.
The 30, who have completed nationally recognised qualifications in forestry, wood manufacturing and furniture, are part of a larger group of 80 in the region who have gained qualifications in the last 12 months.
Ian spoke to the importance of training in our active, growing industry and continuing training throughout the whole of a career. The supreme winner Ricky Kuru, of family business Kuru Contracting, epitomised the very essence of a professional in a growing industry, according to chief judge Julian Kohn. “Ricky highlights just what forestry contracting and business acumen could do not just for him, but also his immediate and extended whanau,” he said.
Mr Kuru and his family also won the new Forestry Family of the Year crown and the Eastland Port Roading Excellence Award. The calibre of all entrants was extremely high this year, with a record number of nominations received. “These awards highlight that the forestry industry is growing, is a major contributor to the economy of the region and that those involved take their jobs, careers and the industry, very seriously,” said Mr Kohn.
Our congratulations to the following:
- Eastland Wood Council Skilled Forestry Professional of the Year: Ricky Kuru (Kuru Contracting).
- Forestry Family of the Year sponsored by the Eastland Wood Council: Kuru Family.
- Outstanding Health and Safety Management Award, sponsored by Williams & Wilshier and Pacific Haulage Ltd: Raywood Contracting Ltd.
- Contractor of the Year (covers all supply chains including logging, roading, silverculture and distribution) sponsored by UDC: Raywood Contracting Ltd.
- Outstanding Environmental Management Award sponsored by Universal Engineering Ltd: Ecoworks NZ Ltd.
- Outstanding Business and Development Award sponsored by C3: Asset Forestry Ltd.
- Start Up Business Award sponsored by Bain and Sheppard: Rimurapa, East Coast Silviculture Solutions Ltd, Lee Cudd and Ngawiki Baynon.
- Modern Apprentice of the Year (FITEC category) sponsored by McCann’ics: Les White (Juken NZ).
- Trainee of the Year (FITEC category) sponsored by McCann’ics: Nukumai Jensen (Raywood Contracting Ltd).
- Training Company/Contractor of the Year (FITEC category) sponsored by Hikurangi Forest Farms Ltd: Kimberley Contractors Ltd.
- Skilled professionals, Forestry Excellence Award (individual – establishment, silvi, fire and roading) sponsored by Bay Trade Suppies: Lee Cudd (Rimurapa, East Coast Silviculture Solutions Ltd).
- Roading Excellence Awards (individual) sponsored by Eastland Port: Ricky Kuru (Kuru Contracting).
- Harvesting Excellence Awards (individual) sponsored by STIHL: Todd James (Black Stump Logging).
- Distribution Excellence Award (log truck drivers, dispatch, port workers) sponsored by Ernslaw One Ltd: Peter Muir (Pacific Haulage Ltd).
- Wood Processing Excellence Award sponsored by The Gisborne Herald: Steve O’Dwyer (Eastland Debarking).
- Vocational scholarship 2013, sponsored by the Eastland Wood Council: Kate Muir.