Typically, an 8-hour day which can involve shift work. Tasks can include working in any one or more sub processes that make up the overall yarn making or carpet tufting processes such as,
For yarn making: washing/blending, carding, spinning, twisting, finishing and checking product quality
For carpet tufting: setting up yard and monitoring the various tufting related processes, backing, finishing and checking product quality
For knitting: working at a PC to convert a design to a machine knittable file, setting up machine to read a design, monitoring and adjustment of the machine during production to assure quality.
Does this sound like you?
• Sciences or Workshop Technology
• Confident communicator
• Good at precision work
• Good literacy and numeracy
• Good initiative/’can do’ attitude
• Analysing, researching or problem solving
• Making or fixing things
• Working with machinery
Preferred work environments
• Inside (workshop or plant)
How much could I earn?
0 - 2 years experience
$20k - $35k
|School||Entry level jobs||Advancing jobs|
NCEA Level 2 Maths and English are useful
Practical subjects such as Textiles Technology or Workshop Skills are useful
Carpet Maker or Tufter
|Unit/Achievement standards in schools||Gateway programme||Traineeship||Higher learning|
What do we offer?
- We partner with industry associations like the Textile Care Federation and members of your industry to help build skilled employees. This support includes promoting careers in your industry, identifying potential learners, and encouraging work placements.
- We also ensure your industry’s qualifications continue to meet needs, support industry events like conferences and regularly celebrate your learners’ success.
- When apprentices enrol, we assign them a Competenz account manager. Our account managers understand the industry and the skills learners and businesses need.